Thursday, June 27, 2013

We're Back Because... MARRIAGE!






Yo. I'm back, bitches.
What else could bring The Skewed Review out of hiatus than marriage equality? There's no need to recap what happened because we all know it by now. Slowly, but surely, the country is waking up and realizing that LGBT Americans don't deserve to be treated as second-class citizens. Well, that's happening on a federal level, at least. 

States, on the other hand, are a different matter completely. After the good news broke on June 26, I, like so many others, took to the social networks with my rants and raves about the good, the bad, and the Gov. Herbert. Needless to say, in a quote that makes you ask, "Do you know the meaning of the word 'Hypocrite?'", Herby the hate bug told the press:

"I support and will continue to defend Utah's constitutional definition of marriage as the legal union between a man and a woman. I also believe that discrimination has no place in society. I hope we can find a path that protects all from discrimination while defending the sanctity of traditional marriage." (Italics were added by Matthew in case Herbert reads this and wants to really understand the oxymoronicness of the statement.)
"Red really is the best color in the world, and it's my favorite.
But blue is my favorite color, also. I hope we can find a path
that allows red and blue to be my favorite color at the same time."
But, in a way, that's to be expected from that smirkaholic. That's OK, though, because with marriages recognized federally now, it's only a matter of time before some brave individuals take Utah to task and demand equal rights locally. After all, that's what a voting population does, correct? We're supposed to vote people in who will represent us -- people we think are the best for the job -- and then keep them in check throughout their tenure. 

Sadly, one of my (Facebook) friends, who I just assumed were sort of on my side in this whole thing, said I was not correct in assuming it was up to me to decide who gets into government. 

Let me just show you our conversation for clarification. And yes, there is a chance my Facebook buddy will read this. If you're reading this, I want you to pat yourself on the back for getting me back to writing! And yes, my Facebook profile picture is two burritos on a red plate. 




Don't worry, no sleep was lost over this conversation (or that only one person "liked" my response. But seriously, come on, people!). But I was wondering what sparked such an issue with someone I clicked the "Add Friend" button for. I mean, I'm not really in the business of adding friends who I know will just sit and argue with me over what appear to be baseless issues. In fact, before this whole marriage equality thing, I didn't even realize my friend was so anti-everyone-gets-the-same-rights-as-everyone-else. As far as I knew, he and I were at least on relatively the same page. Turns out, we're reading two completely different books.















Pictured above: One is a book children find absolutely
amazing when I read it to them... and the other is
"Horton Hears a Who."

So, now I'm opening the floor for answers. Can someone please tell me what recognition of all marriages does to infringe upon your lives? I seriously want to know. If you think it's immoral, then please explain how your morals are somehow changed if my morals differ. Are you just not that strong? Are you afraid you're going to accidentally become one of us homos? Tell me how your life is ruined because I can get benefits when my partner dies. 3...2...1... GO!


No comments:

Post a Comment